Kanpur is the 12th most populous city in India. It is the second largest industrial town in north India,Kanpur city has a population of 2,701,324. Kanpur is the most important industrial centre in Uttar Pradesh. It lies on the banks of Ganga. It is famous for leather and textile goods of fine quality, and leather industries, cotton, flour and vegetable oil mills, sugar refineries and chemical works.
History of Kanpur Believed to be founded by king Hindu Singh of the erstwhile state of Sachendi, Kanpur was originally known as 'Kanhpur'. Upto the 1st half of the 18th century Kanpur continued to survive as an insignificant village.Kanpur came under the British Rule by the treaty of 1801 with Nawab Saadat Ali Khan of Awadh. This forms a turning point in the history of Kanpur.The three strategic events of the 1857 war at Kanpur were the fight at `wheeler’s entrenchment’, the `massacre at Sati Chaura Ghat’ and the `Bibighar massacre’. Nana Sahib had declared independence on the 7th of June 1857 at Kanpur.
This is the best and most famous playground of Kanpur. International Cricket matches are held here and it has one of the best pitches in the world.
The Kanpur Zoo was opened in 1971 and ranks among one of the best zoos in the country. It is an ideal place for picnics in picturesque surroundings.
This church in Kanpur is popularly known as the All soul's cathedral. It was built in memory of the British who lost their lives in the 1857 revolt. The most attractive feature of this church is that it was built in the Lombardic Gothic style. The cathedral also houses a memorial garden towards its east.
Massacre Ghat near the bank of river Ganga is situated in the Kanpur Cantonment Area.History has got a lot to talk about this place for this is the location of Revolt of 1857, which is also popularly referred to as the Sepoy Mutiny of 1857 or the first war of Indian Independence took place.
Phool Bagh houses the Ganesh Shanker Vidyarthi Memorial building occupied by the Orthopaedic Rehabilitation Hospital popularly referred as Ganesh Udyan.This bagh is situated on the Mall road which is in the prime heart of the city.
This temple is mainly dedicated to Lord Mahavira and the 23 Jain Tirthankaras.Jain Glass Temple is one of the holy places for the Jains in Kanpur.It is located in the in Maheswari Mahal.The temple is known for its glass and enamel works.
Jajmau known as Siddhapuri is a very ancient mound located towards the east end of the city.This was supposed to the kingdom of Yayati dynasty.Many antiques were got after the excavations of this place in 1957.Now this place is become one of the most important site to be visited by the tourists for Jajmau houses the Siddhnath and Siddha Devi temples and the mausoleum of Makhdum Shah ala-ul-Haq, the famous Sufi saint, built by Firoz Shah Tughlaq in 1358 and a mosque built by Kulich Khan in 1679.