The second largest city in West Bengal, Siliguri lies in the shadows of the mighty Himalayas, in a narrow strip of land just 40 km wide at its broadest section often referred to as the Chicken's Neck. Its strategic location makes it the main gateway to the north-eastern states, the city also boasts lush green environs, interspersed with tea plantations, rolling hills and meandering rivers, as well as a pleasant climate through most of the year.
Siliguri's modern history began in the 19th century when the British East India Company constructed a railway line linking the city with Kolkata, which was extended to Darjeeling in 1881. With the establishment of a rail link, the area's economy began to grow and Siliguri became known for the four ‘T's: tea, timber, tourism and transport.
One of the most important bridges of all the others, Coronation bridge is a magnificent British architecture named after the coronation of King George V. The Coronation bridge is also known as Sevoke bridge. This bridge links Siliguri with rest of the north eastern territory. The lush forest and the Teesta river flowing below the bridge gives travelers a beautiful view of this bridge.
Located near the Sevoke bridge, the Kali mandir is a Hindu temple positioning the shrine of Goddess Kali. The temple is crowded with the devotees during the festivals of Durga puja and Navratri.
Situated at the foothills of the Eastern Himalayas, the Jaldapara Wildlife Sanctuary was established in 1941 to protect the Indian one-horned rhinoceros. It was declared a National park in May 2012. Apart from the one-horned rhinoceros, other attractions of the park include leopards, elephants, sambhars, barking deers and several birds like Bengal florican, crested eagle, Pallah’s fish eagle, Finn’s weaver and many others.
Established by Tibetan Buddhist Monks and followers of Dalai Lama, the monastery is famous for the 100 feet stupa founded by the Tibetan Lama, Kalu Rinpoche.This monastery also known as The Great International Tashi Gomang Stupa and is situated just 6 km away from the main town. This monastery also contains five kinds of Buddhist relics.